On 3 Dec 2008, at 00:45, Rich Morin wrote:

At 01:27 +0000 12/3/08, Chris McGrath wrote:
One thing I've been considering since watching your RubyConf
presentation via confreaks is ...

Just to be clear, Rich Kilmer is the HC developer that made the
RubyConf presentation; I'm just a MacRuby and HotCocoa wannabe...

Ooops, I must have some sort of richlexia, you aren't the first two I've got confused!

... auto-generating documentation about what's mapped to what.
I haven't looked at the code enough to know if it's feasible,
but I'd like to see something like:

text_field -> NSTextField (selectable: false, bordered: false, ...)
#i.e. the defaults

Most of these would be obvious, but are currently "hidden" away down
in the MacRuby source. I'd like to see mappings both ways, so as
someone who knows a bit of cocoa I can easily go check if NSFoo has
been wrapped by someone and what the wrappings are. I love how the
mappings are implemented, but I won't be able to keep them all in my
head!

OK; here's a partly-baked idea, loosely inspired by Python docstrings.

<PBI>
The HC declarations are (I assume) stashing information away in some
sort of data structure.  If not, they certainly could be (:-).  Once
the information is available at runtime, any HC script could retrieve
them for use in online documentation.

Of course, as RK indicates, HC is lazy about loading frameworks.  So,
a comprehensive documentation generator would have to force loading of
all possible frameworks.

It may also be that HC doesn't store as much information as we'd like
to have in the docs.  No problem; add a few more methods (etc) to let
developers add these "annotations".
</PBI>

On first skim, it seems that as well as adding ruby methods and constants, lib/hotcocoa/mapping.rb could be persuaded to do something like that. I'd envisage this being a tool you could run on a mapping file to spit out html / rdoc / whatever. I don't have time this week but I'd like to look into something like this soon.

Cheers,

Chris