From: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com [mailto:macvisionar...@googlegroups.com]
On Behalf Of Chris Blouch
Sent: Thursday, June 18, 2009 3:05 PM
To: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
Cc: g...@blindwisdom.org
Subject: Re: Golden Apples

While we're geezing about Apple IIs, I remember there was a shift-key
mod for the II+ where you would jumper the shift key to one of the game
controller buttons since it didn't really work otherwise when you did
the lower case text chip mod.

Beagle Bros had a little program that would alternate running two floppy
drives (for those so lucky) to sound like a steam train starting up.

The joy of cassette tape storage was you never really knew if your saved
copy was actually good. Only sure way to tell was to load it back into
the computer, which wiped out your previous work in memory. So if your
tape didn't write correctly you now had  no copy on tape and your copy
in memory was gone.

The Apple II made sounds by accessing a certain memory address which
made a click. Do it fast enough and you got a tone of a certain pitch.
So you could search through games to change $C020 to $C030 which made
the clicks go to the cassette port. From there you could hook up your
boom box and get much better sound than the built in speaker.

The IIc had a button right on the top of the case to switch the keys to
Dvorak layout. I guess that never really took off :)

The IIgs was amazing for its time with the 32 channel Ensoniq sound chip.

CB

believed to be clean.