We had the Hayes Micromodem II which consisted of a huge board plugged
inside the computer plus an external box with even more stuff inside it
hooked to the phone line. So for a mere $13 per hour to Compuserve plus
something like $.50 a minute for long distance I could download the
walkthrough for Infocom's Zork or read up on the 84 Olympics at
something approaching 30 characters a second. Needless to say my parents
decided the online revolution was not hitting our household yet and the
modem collected dust. I think they still have it in the attic.

CB