Hi,

In addition to Ester's excellent recommendations, there's a system
extension called USB Overdrive that will allow you to set keyboard
actions for USB key presses on controllers and mice.  Although I
don't know what the Braille devices appear as to the USB bus, it may
be possible that USB Overdrive will recognize this and you could
customize the arrow keys you mentioned.  I have a nice CH Products
Throttle Pro left over from flight simulator days that can handle a
lot of VO navigation.  Although, a simple cheap USB game pad would
work as well.

USB Overdrive is free to try and available at versiontracker, or most
any Mac download site.

Best,
Scott

Hi Anouk,

Although you use the VoiceOver keys (Control and Option) for
navigation, you can lock these keys on with VO-semi-colon
(Control-Option-Semi-colon).  Then any commands you issue assume that
the VoiceOver keys (Control and Option) are engaged until your press
semi-colon again.  Many people lock their VoiceOver keys while
reading long pages.

Another alternative is to use NumPad Commander (with Leopard).  This
is a functionality that uses the numeric keypad to pre-program
shortcuts for the most common VoiceOver commands.  You need to use
either a full keyboard, an older Mac laptop with embedded numeric
keypad, or a current Mac laptop with either attached numeric keypad
or keyboard with numeric keypad in order to use NumPad Commander.
 Or, as I've just posted, you may be able to use the free NumberKey
app on an iPhone to use your iPhone as a numeric keypad that works
with NumPad Commander shortcuts.  You can customize NumPad Commander
with your own shortcut definitions as well as using their standard
set.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Esther