This is supposed to be why devices have generic USB descriptions - you
might not be able to use all of the really cool features but the
basics are in place.  If you attach a Stream to a "virgin" Windows
machine and decline all of the drivers it tries to install, you will
still see it in Windows Explorer  as something resembling a hard disk.

I'll guess that GW got this right and that HW only got it partially
working on Windows.  Anyone try it with a GNU/Linux distro?