Hi everyone,
It sounds as if we have all had varying experiences with an reasons for
changing to a mac.

We all have different means of learning as well as different paces we learn. I
think also changing under any circumstances requires a major degree of
commitment that one must truly consider before making the change. There are
plenty of resources out there for one to learn to use voiceover be they
Podcasts or blogs etc.
This first link is the help file directly from Apple's support site with the
table of contents for learning to use voice over. Is broken down by chapter and
very easy to use.

http://help.apple.com/voiceover/info/guide/10.9/English.lproj/index.html

The next link is to a website and podcast by Ceretec Corporation. It is called
triple click home. The blog and podcast is very well worth checking out.

http://tripleclickhome.com

This link is to a site by a voiceover trainer. It's called Macfortheblind.com

http://macfortheblind.com/?p=1404
It helps familiarize a new user with interacting on the Mac.

The final link is from a gentleman from Australia who has done many Podcasts
dealing with various issues with voiceover on the iPhone and the Mac. His
material is well worth listening to and learning from.

http://davidwoodbr.podbean.com
I hope this is been helpful.

Pam Francis