I have those iOS apps, but they are rather finicky and slow when all I want to
know is what an envelope or sheet of paper says. I suppose a scanning stand
would help, but if I already have a scanner and Mac, it seems an unnecessary
expense.

Having the file open automatically is helpful. Plus, so long as you name the
file the same thing each time, I guess it will keep overwriting the last one so
you don't end up with hundreds of files with random text in them. How do you
set this to RTF though? Or is it right in the Save dialog if you choose to
export to Word?
On Apr 17, 2014, at 10:01 AM, Phil Halton <philh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I use a compatible scanner, there are lots of them, and after scanning, FR
> Pro recognizes the scanned pages and then opens a save dialog. I save the
> pages using the default file name "untitled", and then the document opens in
> textedit where I can read the doc. I have the format set to RTF and that
> triggers Textedit as the default app. I suppose if i set the format to .docx,
> it would open in pages.
>
> There is no viewing facility in FR Pro, but quickly saving it in a throw-away
> file will open it in an app were you can view/edit the file.
>
> On Apr 16, 2014, at 1:12 PM, Alex Hall <mehg...@icloud.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks. I was really hoping that I could just look at the text, not save it.
>> As I said, I usually don't need to keep a copy, I just want to see what it
>> says.
>> On Apr 16, 2014, at 1:02 PM, Andrew Lamanche <ioani...@me.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Alex,
>>>
>>> I'm not sure you can view text of a document you have just scanned in
>>> FineReader.
>>>
>>> The way I use this app is as follows:
>>>
>>> I either add new pages via the add new pages dialogue - there's a button
>>> there, or better still, I vo+shift+m on the name of the scanned file and
>>> choose open with FineReader.  I guess I do this because I use Vuescan to
>>> scan my documents first and use FineReader for recognition only as my
>>> scanner is not compatible with FineReader.
>>> 2. After FineReader has recognised the document, in the toolbar I find the
>>> button export all pages. A dialogue appears which gives me a choice of the
>>> various file extensions I can choose from. Remember that the last extension
>>> used will already be highlighted.
>>> 3. If I want .rtf, for example, I vo + arrow keys to it, and then route my
>>> mouse cursor to vo and perform a click with vo+shift+spacebar to choose the
>>> extension.
>>> 4. I jump to the very right of the screen where you will find "next"
>>> button. This will now actually create a file for you which you will be able
>>> to read. Press this button
>>> 5. A dialogue will open up with untitled file and extension. Call it what
>>> you wish, and save it where you want.
>>> 6. After you press the save button, the file will open in the appropriate
>>> application for the file extension you have chosen.
>>>
>>> I don't know of any other way of reading what you have scanned, not in
>>> FineReader itself.
>>>
>>> Caution: if you want to scan another document without simply appending it
>>> to the one you've previously scanned, you need to choose a new task by
>>> pressing new task button in the toolbar - I think there's a shortcut key
>>> under "file' menu.  Otherwise, your new scan will be attached to the end of
>>> the previous one.  I've learnt by mistakes about this.
>>>
>>> I'm sure there's much more about FineReader that others know more about
>>> Hope somebody will comment if I'm wrong in what I've said.
>>>
>>> Best wishes
>>>
>>> Andrew .

>> Have a great day,
>> Alex Hall