Boot to the recovery partition by pressing and holding for a few seconds command-r as you hear the chime. Give it a minute then launch VoiceOver with Command-F5. Since you said you want to start from scratch you may want to open Disc Utility and erase the Macintosh HD partition so nothing is on it. After that you can run Mac Os X Installer and reinstall Mavericks or whatever is on that recovery partition. Good luck.

Christopher Hallsworth
Student at the Hadley School for the Blind
www.hadley.edu