Hi,

I agree with Chris that it could very likely be a software thing.  So, since
you have a Time Machine backup that is fairly up-to-date and you say that you
have your important files backed up, I’d go for the reformat and reinstall
option.  If you don’t have an external HD or the cables that I mentioned
earlier, there is a neat little utility within the Mavericks Installer that
allows you to build a bootable Mavericks installer on a flash drive that is at
least 8 GB in size.  If you wish to go that way, I can share instructions with
you.

Later…

Tim Kilburn
Fort McMurray, AB Canada