Hi again Traci,

Sorry about the confusion, but I hate oversimplifying things.  I'm not Apple. :)

Got it regarding your compare of Apple TV and ChromeCast, and I think you have
it about right; AppleTV works in the particular set of circumstances that Apple
have designed it for, and indeed most of the time mine is just for AirPlay and
Home Sharing too (when it isn't off, as is currently the case).

As to bandwidth, that's just a term which means the volume of information
transferred per second.  Actually, that's not very accurate either, but it'll
do for the purposes of the discussion. :)

When you connect a repeater, the radio is spending half its time receiving
traffic from the signal you're amplifying, and half it's time sending it;
therefore from the perspective of a user of the repeated signal, the bandwidth
is exactly half of what is available.  It would be a quarter, if you repeated
the repeater, and an eighth, if you repeated the repeater of the repeater, and
so on.  The real reason to use AirPort Express is that it uses a technology
called WDS, which makes it possible for the repeater not merely to amplify the
signal, but also to interconnect networks on either side of the air gap.  So,
you can plug stuff into the ports of your Express, and other devices see it as
though you'd plugged them into your Extreme.  Very neat.

For your particular problem, it really comes down to whether or not you want to
add wires.  If you add wires, you can extend your network over those wires
without loss of performance; if you don't, then you'll have to use a booster,
like the Express, at a cost.  And we're hoping that the signal will be strong
enough, in either case, to satisfy your ChromeCast which is, again IMO, the
source of all your problems. :) Of course, you can try moving stuff around, or
starting stuff up in the right order (AirPort first) too.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Sabahattin