When  I moved from Mountain Lion to Mavericks I noticed a big improvement once
I had made a clean install
. This may assist you as well this time and also you may want to look to make
sure you do not have activities running just in case this is an issue for
Yosemite as well.
When I move to Yosemite I will probably attempt an upgrade but will then
probably do a clean install  later if there are any performance issue.   That
process appeared to work well then with all my apps etc being taken across from
myTime Machine.

David Griffith