Hello Nick,

I never use the Recovery partition as it downloads a new version of the OS
which takes too long. I always make a bootable USB key and install from that. I
then restore my data from my Time Machine backup. Below is how to make a
bootable USB key, you’ll need an 8 GB drive.

Cheers,

Anne
Install OS X Yosemite.app
Download OS X Yosemite
Prepare your USB Flash Drive.

To format the USB drive open Disk Utility. Plug the drive in into your Mac.

Select the USB Flash drive from the table in Disk Utility.
Select the “Erase” tab.
Make sure the Format is set to Mac OS Extended (Journaled).
As for the name, leave it as “Untitled”.
Finally click the Erase tab.

Terminal Command

Simply copy and paste this into Terminal and press the Return key:

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\
Yosemite.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled
--applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app --nointeraction

Since the above command uses the sudo attribute you will be required to enter
your password to start the process.

Once the process starts you will see this in Terminal:

Erasing Disk: 0%… 10%… 20%…100%…
Copying installer files to disk…
Copy complete.
Making disk bootable…
Copying boot files…
Copy complete.
Done.

This process can take a while since it’s copying gigabytes of data over. Leave
it alone and let it do its thing.