I workaround the lack of the ability to open folders with a specific app. For
sound in this case I use the free VLC Media Player from
www.videolan.org <http://www.videolan.org/>
I then press command-o which is a standard Mac OS X shortcut to open a file or
folder of files. I select my sound folder, press return, and VLC will make a
playlist with those sound files for me. Think of this as the Winamp on steroids
for Mac OS X. There is VLC Media Player for Windows, but accessibility leaves a
lot to be desired in my personal opinion. So I use Winamp on the Windows side.