I’m a proponent of using FileVault. Depending on what model of Mac you have,
when you turn on the machine you can press CMD+F5 to either hear a series of
beeps or spoken announcements indicating where you are (e.g. one beep to
indicate that you’re being asked for your username, two beeps to confirm that
the username was entered correctly and you’re now being asked for the password,
and three beeps to indicate that all the information was entered correctly and
the machine is now booting up). This is all explained when you’re setting up
FileVault with VoiceOver enabled. Of course, you can login without pressing
CMD+F5 if you’ve memorized what to do and don’t need audible feedback.

FileVault makes your machine much more secure and in my opinion doesn’t impact
the user experience at all. FileVault prevents any unauthorized person from
getting at your data without the correct password or recovery key. Another
benefit of encryption comes in when you choose to give away or sell your
machine. Without encryption turned on, if you don’t want the machine’s new
owner to be able to recover your data, then you need to erase your drive by
writing data to every part of the drive. This can take many hours, and might
not even be effective with flash storage. With encryption, this shouldn’t be
necessary. Chances are you’re already using a device that is using data
encryption. For example, iOS devices encrypt a lot of your important data by
default.

Information overload: By default, you’ll log in with your normal username and
password and you’ll get a recovery key that can be used if you don’t have the
password. You can also grant other user accounts the right to authenticate when
the machine is powered on. Once the machine has been turned on and unlocked,
any user can log in and out normally. The functionality of the Guest account,
however, will be impacted; guests can only access a special secure mode where
they can only access Safari. It’s sort of like starting up from the recovery
partition of your Mac. You can store the recovery key with Apple as well as
storing it yourself. If you’re feeling very adventurous, you can use the
fdesetup command in the terminal
(https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man8/fdesetup.8.html)
 to configure many more parameters, including changing/deleting/validating the
personal recovery key. Be sure to only do this if you know what you’re doing
and have good backups. It’s not necessary for normal FileVault operation.

Grant