Hello Grant,
Thank you ever so much for your detailed instructions.
I will flag this email and try it this evening and let you know. Really
appreciate it.

Pam Francis

On Feb 4, 2015, at 3:41 PM, Grant Hardy <grantha...@outlook.com> wrote:

Pamela,

I don’t recommend creating the rule locally on your Mac because there can be
issues when your computer tries to move large batches of mail located on an
IMAP server. I would recommend creating a Gmail filter. Try the following.

1. Log into Gmail on the web. For ease of use, go to the basic HTML version of
Gmail at https://gmail.google.com/gmail/h/.

2. On the main Gmail page, under the Labels heading, choose “Edit labels”. Near
the bottom of the page that comes up, you should see an edit box labelled
“create a new label”. Labels will show up as folders on your Mac, so this is
like creating a new folder. Enter the appropriate name for the list you want to
manage such as “Mac Visionaries”, then activate the “Create" button.

3. Once you have your new label, find the “Create a filter” link and select it.

4. On the “choose search criteria” page, for the most basic filter, in the “To”
box enter the Email address you use to send messages to the mailing list such
as macvisionaries@googlegroups.com. Then, select the “Next step” button.

5. On the “choose action” page, check both the “skip the inbox” and “apply the
label” boxes. In the combo box labelled “Choose label”, pick the label you
created in an earlier step.

6. If you want, you can apply this filter to messages you’ve already received
rather than just new ones, but this takes a bit of time. If you want to,
though, check the “also apply this filter to x number of conversations below”
box.

7. Hit the Create Filter button and wait for confirmation on the next page.

8. In a few minutes, you should see the new folder in the Mail App and messages
to the list should skip your inbox and automatically be filed into the label
(folder) you set up. If things still aren’t working, there are additional
settings that might need to be tweaked. There are also more advanced filters
you could create if you were really inclined, such as filtering mail based on
the mailing list headers and so forth. But the basic filter I described should
work for your needs.

Hope this was clear.

Best,

Grant