Hi Ann,
No, I always keep the mouse untethered. Maybe I misspoke, but I don’t think I
routed the mouse before VOing right to the menu. I did however, use the
alternatives action keystroke as suggested in the help tag for the style radio
button (VO command spacebar). After pressing  the "show actions"  in the
alternative  actions menu, I could just arrow to the menu button without
routing the  mouse.
I worked as a systems programmer in the insurance industry for a few years as
well, and, like you,  I am also  surprised at the laxity of Apple’s regression
testing. It’s a glaring omission  in an otherwise fine piece of engineering.