Hi Alex,

Yes, I am with you on the potentials of this type of device, the applications
that can come out of it are innumerable. it can help with orientation, being
notified quickly and checking the notification etc but there’s another problem
here, mainly because the watch had a lot of hours spent on for sighted users.
The touch screen is the first proof. This means not that much time was spent
for what I like to call the “functional ergonomy” of the watch in regards to
visual impairment. Yes, the watch is supposed to be a seconds on off
interaction that normally would make things easier for us. And it would be a
great way of notifying us we are getting to a cross roads, or the shop we
tagged on our locator is close by, any number of things to help us navigate. In
fact, it would be good to have a separate thread talking about what we imagine
is possible or potential with this, then this can spread out for apple to
perhaps listen to those who have baught the watch this time around.

Another line I follow you with is the 1st generation issues and kinks most
products have. I had the first iphone and loved it. So much so that when I lost
my sight, I still used braille stickers on the screen to access my standard
apps before the 3gs came out with voice over. But it had battery issues. the
ipad was a cool concept but it was seriously bulky. health trackers were cool
but they lacked compatibility or other such things.

But I would like people to remember that we, as visually impaired individuals,
already have a restricted set of entertainment we can have. Whether lack of
video games for the blind, I mean real ones not some throw bananas around
stuff. Or social gathering opportunities, going to festivals, outdoors and
hiking, camping etc (this could be a great idea for the watch, orient us in
nature). And due to these restrictions, we tend to go straight for whatever
will stimulate us a bit. And become almost cyborgs by consntantly fiddling with
our phones and now watches. Life isn’t about this. it’s not about whether I can
pick a notification a second faster than if I did it on my phone. There are two
things that would nullify any concept of watch wearing. One is a proper bone
induction earphone taht allows us to hear the environment as much as what is
going on the device. Second is the proper set of apps with the proper sound
paradigms to make things more intuitive. Yes, apple has made voice over for us
and I can’t be thankful enough. However, standards or design paradigms must
evolve, and there are millions of ways to provide notigications with sound cues
and haptic feedback to mean one thing or the other. Therefore we shouldn’t
pigeon hole ourselves in the voice over paradigm.

Sorry for this longer mail, but the point is: I recommend waiting a bit more
than shelling out all this cash unless you are in the U.S or have a contact
there that can send it to you, bypassing the horrible australian prices.

Cheers,

Yuma Antoine Decaux
"Light has no value without darkness"
Mob: +61 410732547