  From: Tim Kilburn
  To: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Monday, April 27, 2015 12:08 PM
  Subject: Re: Major trouble with internet: Warning: not for the basic user!

  Chris,

  Your scenario should work as you outlined.

  1.  Make sure you have an active Wi-Fi connection to the Internet on the Mac.
  2.  Make sure Internet Sharing is not checked.
  3.  Set the Share from pop-up menu to “Wi-Fi”.
  4.  Check the Ethernet checkbox within the ports table.
  5.  Check the box to turn on Internet Sharing.

  A few things to note.  This is normally done the opposite direction whereby
your Mac becomes a make-shift Wi-Fi basestation, but the above scenario does
work.  Changing the order of your network services shouldn’t be needed as when
your Ethernet port is configured for Internet Sharing, it will automatically be
pushed down from the top of the list.  The DHCP service is handled through the
Mac itself and will assign a 192.168.2.* IP to whatever devices connect to it
via ethernet.  A crossover cable is also unnecessary as the Mac will take care
of any necessary port switching.

  I have performed this operation numerous times in the “Mac becomes Wi-Fi
Basestation” model, but did test the “Mac becomes Ethernet Bridge” model that
you appear to need, and it did work properly as well. One thing that you may
need to confirm is that the ethernet port is the only port checked within that
table.  Sometimes, you’ll find that Bluetooth is also checked, make sure it isn
not and that no others are besides ethernet.  If the Bluetooth PAN port is
checked,, it will take precedent over the ethernet port, and since it doesn’t
have a connection, ethernet will get the self-assigned IP.

  Now, the suggestion by Jeff of using an Airport Express is actually a more
reliable method in my opinion.  You can connect the Express wirelessly to your
existing network, connect the receiver to the Express with the ethernet cable
and you’re set.  This also allows you to use the Express to stream iTunes music
to your sound system either with a digital or analog cable.  I also agree that
the Airport Extreme to Airport Express is even better, but this will work with
your existing router.

  Later...

  Tim Kilburn
  Fort McMurray, AB Canada