Hi Kristi
I have the same problem and so far is getting Yosemite to save the file when I
attach it. However I do my attachments with finder, so I don't have the
problem. What I do is in finder, I select the file I want and copy it to the
clipboard like I'm going to move the file or paste. Then when I open my new
message to write it, the first thing I do is press command v to paste it. In
this way, I have not had the problem of putting in the wrong file and to my
email.
Gigi

Sent from my iPhone