Hello:

That’s actually pretty hard to do if you don’t have the experience. You have
two options. Well, three actually.

First, if you have a stable connection and a lot of bandwidth depending on your
visitors and the type of content you serve, you -could- serve from home. You
will need a dedicated system to do this and a good setup, as well as a static
IP address. This really isn’t recommended but it’s doable.
Second you have two choices. You could either get a VPS (virtual private
server) or a dedicated server.

VPS servers are ran by a company who runs multiple servers on one machine
through virtualization technology. They use KVM or xen and it’s really fast for
most people. Prices range from $10+ depending on what you’re needing. I
recommend two companies:
http://linode.com <http://linode.com/>
and:
http://digitalocean.com <http://digitalocean.com/>
I’ve had good experience with both.

Your second option and more expensive is to run a dedicated server. Mine
currently runs $120 from:
http://arpnetworks.com <http://arpnetworks.com/>
Specs are:
1 1 tb platter drive
16 gb ram
3.4 GHZ quad core intel zeon.

You would generally choose a dedicated server over a VPS when you exceed the
resource limits. For example something with that configuration on Linode would
probably not catch up to the 1 tb in storage I have and cost me way more.

Now there’s a pitfall to all of this; you need to know Linux or BSD well
(really well). I deal with security threats about once a week, optimize and
work on my website based on visitors (I’m hosting a few others), etc. If you
want your own email that’s another set of issues because you’ll be tuning
things there. For example I just added some more stuff to my system to help
deal with spam a lot better. It’s a time investment that you don’t have if you
pay someone else to do it for you.

Please let me know if you have any more general questions.

Thanks,