Sorrylist but I think I missed something here,

  So are you saying that the USA's FBI deleted the iCloud backup for the
terrorists?

-----Original Message-----
From: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com [mailto:macvisionaries@googlegroups.com]
On Behalf Of Sabahattin Gucukoglu
Sent: Tuesday, 23 February 2016 9:06 AM
To: 'Chris Blouch' via MacVisionaries <macvisionaries@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: Any comments on Apple's position against unreasonable search

Yep, it later emerged that the FBI, through malice or incompetence, reset the
account password and thus prevented those all-important (but incomplete) iCloud
backups from occurring.  (Notice that iCloud backups are another way in, which
is something many customers aren’t aware of.)

And I don’t blame you one bit for distrusting the FBI.  This is the government
that gave birth to “National Security Letters”.  The fact that these clowns are
pushing for even more power, even though it would be limited to after-the-fact
exams, probably says that they aren’t finished grasping, and not by a long
shot.  Certainly off-worlders can forget any legal protections that you might
get as a result of all this, particularly while passing through your delightful
TSL checkpoints.  I can just imagine it, being asked for my phone so they can
take an image for later cryptanalysis, because I “Look foreign".  Ugh.

But, alas, we’re still in the precarious situation that even if the court’s
decision is somehow overturned, we now know something rather uncomfortable
about iOS security.  Apple just painted a great big “Hack me!” sign on its
gigantic half-eaten Apple logo.  I side with Apple insofar as I believe we’re
entitled to security, but there’s not a snowball’s chance in hell of being able
to trust the technology while it’s in such close proximity to the powers that
be(TM), much less all the h4x3rz who will be trying their damned best to obtain
the golden keys and make life miserable for the 99%.  And don’t forget that
some of these actors will be well-funded, and under the control of other, less
well-adjusted governments.  Ironic, given the message Apple is sending about
the importance of security.  If they know they’re a weak link, they’re not
exactly eager to tell the world. :)

list.

list.