Hi Scott,

As long as you've backed up the spinning HD, replacing it with an SSD is
reasonably painless.

1.  Order, or go to a store and purchase an SSD of your choice.  Most SSD's
through Amazon, BestBuy etc will let you know if it's Mac compatible.  OWC
often sells them with little tool kits that have all the necessary precision
screwdrivers.  The SSD is physically the same size as the current spinning HD
in your MBP, so the swap doesn't require any adaptors etc.
2.  After the SSD is at your home, backup the spinning HD.  Preferably with a
Time Machine backup process.
3.  Turn off your MBP.
4.  There's ten screws on the bottom of your MBP that need taken out.  Note
that there are a few screws at the back that are longer than the teeny other
ones, they must go in the same location.  After they've been removed, pull off
the bottom of the machine.
5.  With the front of the MBP nearest to you, the HD is positioned on the left
hand side closest to you.  There'll be two more screws just behind the HD.
Loosen those and pull out the holder downer thing.
6.  Gently pull up on the flap to pull out the old drive and carefully
disconnect the strap.
7.  Connect the new SSD and place it in the spot.
8.  Re-fasten the holder downer thing.
9.  Place the bottom back on and replace the screws.

Now you'll need to re-install the MacOS from a Flash Drive or external source.
Note that the Recovery Partition is not present on this new SSD, so that's not
an option.  Once the MACOS is installed, you can migrate everything from the
old Time Machine backup during the setup process.  Once it's completed, you're
all set.  YOu'll notice a huge difference in performance.  Upgrading the RAM
to, at least, 8 GB is good as well.  I went a little overboard myself and took
out the optical drive, moved the spinning HD to where the optical drive was,
installed the SSD and manually created a Fusion Drive in addition to upgrading
to 16 GB of RAM.  It allowed me to have much more storage and huge improvements
in performance.

HTH.

Later...

Tim Kilburn