I don't believe applescript was used before 10.6, and as nick pointed out,
voiceover is actually hard coded to work with the system rather than relying on
functions and scripts to run the whole thing. If you look at jaws without it's
scripts, it's essentially useless because most of the new updates they make run
off of their scripts.