While VO works very well in most cases without scripting, I would assume that
one could add the really interesting augmentations that JAWS and WE provide in
a lot of programs to make their users interactions more efficient.

I really want to explore doing this but I haven't had the time or energy to
devote to learning any of it well enough to even understand what is and is not
possible.  AppleScript has a lot of powerful ways to access a lot of
applications and if the VO scripting interface offers enough ways to hook an
application (do not mistake this with the dreaded video hooking in the
traditional Windows screen access tools) it would likely be possible to do a
lot of cool stuff.

If Numbers, the OpenOffice spreadsheet  or Tables  provides a extensibility
model as rich as Excel on Windows, there's no reason why one couldn't do all of
the nifty stuff that JAWS and WE provide.  These sort of features do not lend
themselves to a generic accessibility solution like VO uses getting data from
the accessibility API.  These augmentations require the software have a lot of
knowledge about the program it intends to provide efficiency enhancements to.

A whole lot of JAWS scripts are there for no other reason than to work around
JAWS bugs.  This is not true for Window-Eyes as their scripting facility is a
whole lot more powerful and, rather than just reading information from some
rectangle on the screen aloud, it can do some extraordinarily interesting
things by communicating with the automation layers in other programs.  WE .SET
files, however, did a lot to work around bugs in Window-Eyes.

VO scripting wouldn't be to work around bugs but, rather, to provide really
cool enhancements in areas where generic presentation models fail or under
serve.

cdh