Few wrong things here and let me help clear up as far as I know.

First, digital is much more efficient, requires a lot less power than the old
analog signals.  Also a lot less impacted by multi path or other atmospheric
issues because it’s all numbers at that point you can apply tricky math to
reconstruct a lot of the signal.  So you require something like a fifth the
power for the same coverage.
        Next, you have a very high amount of bandwidth per frequency and I mean
bandwidth in the classical radio sense.  This means yes, you can put several
channels of content, data, sub carriers and all sorts of things on the same
facility.  In many cases a tower authority owns the transmitter and sells time
slices essentially on the data stream to broadcasters.  Look at Sutro Tower in
San Francisco as a great example of this.  Most of the transmitters in the bay
area for public con consumption are on that tower.

        You bring up another good point and that’s about telephone company or
let’s just say network connectivity between different individual providers and
how that happens.  First the idea of telephone is very 20th century.  Once your
land line gets digitized by the box down the street or your cable modem
provides a pots connection it’s all digital and just data.  The data could be
in different signaling forms but most are moving towards SIP or you’d probably
call it VOIP or voice over IP.  Your cell phone call for example gets turned in
to SIP and kept as sip.  So the first thing we have are a standard set of
signaling systems and protocols to communicate.  Since everyone speaks the same
technical language / protocols connection is possible.
        Next there’s the actual connection part.  In the biz that’s called
peering.  Companies of similar sizes for example may peer or interconnect with
each other for the exact reason of exchanging traffic.  Say you’re on AT&T and
you want to call me on Verizon, you pick up your handset, place the call, the
call hits the tower then gets routed to a head end where it’s placed on the
network, routed to the nearest voice pod, signaling and all the voice features
are added and then your call hits a border controller or think of it as a
router for voice traffic.  That router directs the traffic to the closest
Verizon interconnection point, sends it down a wire and at the far end of that
wire is a Verizon equivalent router that takes that data, heads it back to a
Verizon voice pod and the process is carried out all the way to my handset.
These interconnections happen at private locations and also at public peering
points or exchanges.  Equinix is the name of a facility provider who has a set
of buildings in Ashburn VA where a lot of carriers come together and exchange.
I have exchanged data and made agreements in that facility for example.  Others
are located in Texas in the middle, Chicago in the middle, North and south
California (PaloAlto, San Jose, Los Angeles) and Seattle.  Major cities.  You
have a lot of points on the east coast as well from Maine to Miami.

The internet is the same way and in many cases your voice data is carried along
with internet data either on virtually separated paths or even mixed together.
Internet providers, carriers and networks exchange IP data at these very same
peering points and similar points all over the globe.  Many of these agreements
are simple handshake deals. Many are made on who you know.  Still others are
made based on company side and a complex set of calculations.  Bigger companies
often have more complex and restrictive deals or may not peer with you at all
unless your one of a few major players.  Others, like companies I have run or
managed are totally open and will peer with everyone.  It’s the whole pay to
play verses more connections are better for everyone open internet model.  I am
an open peering internet man myself but reasonable people can disagree.  The
idea though is someone somewhere made a deal to exchange that traffic using
what every criteria they feel makes sense.  It’s very much gentlemen’s
agreements in many cases.

Hope that helps you get a bit of a better understanding of how the internetwork
thing happens under the hood.

Thanks
Scott

list.