Hello All.

I have read this thread very carefully and would like to suggest that we all
wait for the facts rather than base our comments on rumours.

I go on the facts rather than rumours as I said this to someone in a different
situation but I based my comments on what people had said rather than seeing
the problem for myself first.

If however things don’t go according to plan, meaning that the Deafblind
community will be affected by the next model of I phone, rather than jumping
down Apple’s throat, one should be measured and calm and have a calm discussion
with Apple as one can achieve much if one is calm about things.

Knowing Apple, they will have thought everything through after all, they would
not want to disadvantage a section of the community as they would get bad press
if let’s say the DeafBlind community could not use their new devices.  Apple
are in some hot water about their tax problems in Europe and I don’t think
they’d want to be in hot water about something else.

I know I sound like a Apple fan but from experience, sensible dialogue is the
best way forward.  Just my take on the whole thing.

Thank you.

Kawal.
> On 1 Sep 2016, at 20:51, E.T. <ancient.ali...@icloud.com> wrote:
>
> Jonathan,
>   Perhaps you have talked to others who use hearing devices. Here is my take.
> I use them too but why am I not in the least bothered by this? If anything, I
> do not have plans to buy an iPhone 7 and in fact may get the 6s to replace my
> 5 which is over 3 years old.
>
>   Sometimes we get so caught in non issues that we lose focus of the larger
> picture. How in the world did we survive before the iPhone let alone
> computers?! (smiles)
>
> From E.T.'s Keyboard...
>  Are We Alone in the Universe?
> ancient.ali...@icloud.com
>
> On 9/1/2016 12:07 PM, Jonathan Mosen wrote:
>> Hi Mary, unfortunately this issue doesn't affect the Deaf community in
>> the same way as it affects blind people who wear hearing aids and
>> require decent latency. And the fact that those of us who are affected
>> are such a minority makes us more vulnerable. You can be sure I am
>> considering my legal options under legislation here.
>> A standard hearing aid wearer uses their phone actively far less than a
>> blind person who wears a hearing aid. For example, if a Bluetooth
>> solution is being used, after a standard hearing aid wearer has finished
>> their call or isn't listening to music, the technology goes into standby
>> and uses very little energy. A blind person has VO talking a lot of the
>> time if they're using their device for tasks like reading and creating
>> documents, email etc, so the impact is much greater.
>> Even if people are willing to accept an adapter jutting out of their
>> phone with its resultant potential to be lost or bent, the adapter will
>> not solve the problem entirely if it means that you can't charge your
>> device and use headphones at the same time. I travel long distances for
>> example, often with flights over 12 hours long. I regularly take my Anka
>> battery with me and charge the phone while I use it to compensate for
>> the inaccessible in-flight entertainment system. It's important to me to
>> have a full charge when I reach my destination. Based on the information
>> we have, it looks like you can either listen to wired headphones or
>> charge, not both.
>> That means that every VoiceOver user who chooses a wired option appears
>> to have to choose between privacy and charge.
>> Jonathan Mosen
>> Mosen Consulting
>> Blindness technology eBooks, tutorials and training
>> http://Mosen.org <http://mosen.org>
>>
>>> On 2/09/2016, at 4:41 AM, Mary Otten <motte...@gmail.com
>>> <mailto:motte...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Well, just to be clear, I personally would be against this move, if it
>>> means that they' very large hard of hearing community can't use
>>> hearing aids on iPhones anymore. That seems like such an incredibly
>>> stupid move on Apple's part, that I am tempted to just believe that
>>> they wouldn't do it if they didn't have a workaround that would work
> [...]

I'm fundraising for RNIB.

Please help me make a difference by making a donation to my Virgin Money Giving
page.

To find out more about what I'm doing and why, please visit
http://www.virginmoneygiving.com/team/RNIBiceland where you can also sponsor me
online.

list.