Hi Phil, I think you mean usb to lightning.  Apple really couldn’t have made
that more confusing if they wanted to.:)  Thunderbolt is the high speed (I
think 10 or 20 gigabit) port on the laptops and lightning is the small
connector providing power and connectivity on the bottom of the iPhone or iPad
etc.

Why apple doesn’t include Lightning on the laptops I don’t know and couldn’t
they have used different names so people wouldn’t be confused, who knows.