NVDA is a usable program that, unfortunately, doesn't support very many
applications yet.  If you can program in Python, you can help the team move it
forward.  As a full time solution, though, it isn't ready for prime time yet.

I know both Mick and Jamie, the top of the NVDA team, and they work really hard
but I don't think that either Mozilla or Microsoft is giving them any more
money so their progress will likely slow now.

SATOGO, a no cost solution for Windows boxes attached to the Internet and
System Access, it's commercial big brother which is less expensive than all
other credible Windows screen readers,  are good free (as in free lunch) and
low cost solutions that work in most programs that most people want/need.

I think SA (both versions) has a magnification portion.  I don't think I've
ever heard of anyone actually using it so, as I can't see well enough to use
it, I cannot say much about it.

Someone told me that the magnifier built into Windows 7 is actually quite good
and, as it is entirely API driven, it is unlikely to introduce as many
stability problems as MAGic or ZoomText.  It has a limited feature set but it
may be good enough for your purposes and as it is included with the OS, the
price is right.

cdh