Hi,

The Status area is listed just after the "Enable this Account" checkbox.  At
least in my Mail Prefs.  So, when moving with VO-right going from the list of
accounts, then the three tabs for Account Info, MailBox Behaviours etc, then
Enable this Account, then the heading for Status, which should be followed with
On-Line and Available.  Continuing right, there should be the Description and
its accompanying field then eMail with the pop-up of aliases.

Hmmm, this is in Sierra on my Mac, I can't remember if El Capitan had a
slightly different layout or not.  If it's different for you, let me know, and
I'll go round up an El Capitan machine and give you more precise ideas.

Later...

Tim Kilburn
Fort McMurray, AB Canada