I use terminal almost exclusively.  The gui destop runs terminal based
programs under the hood.  For example finder runs mdfind to perform its
functions.  One can just use mdfind in terminal or one of the other file
search programs of unix/linux. present in the terminal.

The terminal allows one extensive and detailed control over activity that
is determined by whoever develops the same kind of thing in the gui
desktop.  One does it their way or not at all.

If I use a gui desktop program I open it from the terminal and then exit it
whe done back to terminal.

There are a very few programs like vlc I use in the gui desktop
environment.

I use a terminal command to start vlc for example which ends in the desired
local media file name or the url of one on the net. It then loads that source and plays it.