There is an option in Tinkertool to allow the Finder to view hidden files. 
Generally not very useful for those that feel comfortable enough in the 
terminal. After all, it is just running an option command behind the scenes. 


                Best wishes,

Jonathan Cohn



> On Aug 4, 2017, at 11:36 AM, Tim Kilburn <kilbu...@me.com> wrote:
> 
> Hi,
> 
> Actually, you can look at the contents of this directory by using the Go To 
> item in the Finder.
> 
> • activate the Finder.
> • press cmd-shift-g, or up to the Go menu and choose Go To Folder.
> • put in /var/db in the field.
> 
> You'll be taken directly to this folder without being root.  Albeit, using 
> this method, you won't see the invisible files nor will you be able to delete 
> anything :).
> 
> Later...
> 
> Tim Kilburn
> Fort McMurray, AB Canada
> 
> On Aug 4, 2017, at 09:30, Scott Granados <scott.grana...@gmail.com 
> <mailto:scott.grana...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> 
> So you need to be root I think to access this directory.  I’d probably issue 
> a sudo su - first but with al the warnings and caveats associated with root.
> 
> Be careful to put it mildly.
> 
>> On Aug 4, 2017, at 11:28 AM, Tim Kilburn <kilbu...@me.com 
>> <mailto:kilbu...@me.com>> wrote:
>> 
>> Hi,
>> 
>> The command is...
>> 
>> rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
>> 
>> Most sites say that it must be done in Single User mode, but I simply use 
>> the Terminal from the Recovery partition, or start up from an external 
>> source and cd myself to the Macs internal drive.
>> 
>> Later...
>> 
>> Tim Kilburn
>> Fort McMurray, AB Canada
>> 
>> On Aug 4, 2017, at 09:08, E.T. <ancient.ali...@icloud.com 
>> <mailto:ancient.ali...@icloud.com>> wrote:
>> 
>> Hi Tim,
>>   This sounds like something I should file away. Do you have the Terminal 
>> command? Thanks much.
>> 
>> 
>> From E.T.'s Keyboard. . .
>>  "God for you is where you sweep away all the
>>  mysteries of the world, all the challenges to
>>  our intelligence. You simply turn your mind off
>>  and say God did it." --Carl Sagan
>> E-mail: ancient.ali...@icloud.com <mailto:ancient.ali...@icloud.com>
>> 
>> On 8/4/2017 7:44 AM, Tim Kilburn wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> 
>>> Actually, it can normally just be done using Terminal from the Recovery 
>>> partition.  At least I've done it that way in the past.  The trick is to 
>>> remove a specific hidden file, thus telling your Mac that it is at the new 
>>> installation stage.  When in the new installation mode, the Setup Assistant 
>>> will appear whereby you set up a new Admin user and you're good to go from 
>>> there.  This normally works fine except in the cases where File Vault is 
>>> enabled.  In that case, you're hooped.
>>> 
>>> Later...
>>> 
>>> Tim Kilburn
>>> Fort McMurray, AB Canada
>>> 
>>> On Aug 3, 2017, at 15:48, E.T. <ancient.ali...@icloud.com 
>>> <mailto:ancient.ali...@icloud.com>> wrote:
>>> 
>>> Anders,
>>>  That would put the Mac into single user mode which is not accessible so I 
>>> just started over again.
>>> 
>>> From E.T.'s Keyboard. . .
>>> "God for you is where you sweep away all the
>>> mysteries of the world, all the challenges to
>>> our intelligence. You simply turn your mind off
>>> and say God did it." --Carl Sagan
>>> E-mail: ancient.ali...@icloud.com <mailto:ancient.ali...@icloud.com>
>>> 
>>> On 8/3/2017 2:43 PM, Anders Holmberg wrote:
>>>> Hi!
>>>> There is but you have to use the terminal.
>>>> I can’t for the life of me remember the command to do this.
>>>> /A
>>>> 
>>>>> 3 aug. 2017 kl. 00:12 skrev Joseph Hudson <jhud7...@gmail.com 
>>>>> <mailto:jhud7...@gmail.com>>:
>>>>> 
>>>>> Sounds like to me you might be in need for a reinstall. And I don't think 
>>>>> that there's a way out besides that.
>>>>>                           Joseph Hudson
>>>>> 
>>>>> Email
>>>>> jhud7...@gmail.com <mailto:jhud7...@gmail.com>
>>>>> I device support
>>>>> Telephone
>>>>> 2543007667
>>>>> Skype
>>>>> joseph.hudson89
>>>>> facebook
>>>>> https://www.facebook.com/joseph.hudson.9404 
>>>>> <https://www.facebook.com/joseph.hudson.9404>
>>>>> Twitter
>>>>> https://twitter.com/josephhudson89 <https://twitter.com/josephhudson89>
>>>>> 
>>>>> FaceTime/iMessage
>>>>> jhud7...@yahoo.com
>>>>> 
>>>>>> On Aug 2, 2017, at 2:15 PM, E.T. <ancient.ali...@icloud.com> wrote:
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> High Sierra beta. Not sure what went wrong. I changed the name of the 
>>>>>> user folder. After restarting, I found my user account is no longer an 
>>>>>> administrative account. I cannot unlock Users & Groups so I cannot 
>>>>>> change my account status. I can change my login password and log in but 
>>>>>> cannot unlock. What do I need to do?
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> From E.T.'s Keyboard. . .
>>>>>> "God for you is where you sweep away all the
>>>>>> mysteries of the world, all the challenges to
>>>>>> our intelligence. You simply turn your mind off
>>>>>> and say God did it." --Carl Sagan
>>>>>> E-mail: ancient.ali...@icloud.com
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> --
>>>>>> The following information is important for all members of the Mac 
>>>>>> Visionaries list.
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> If you have any questions or concerns about the running of this list, or 
>>>>>> if you feel that a member's post is inappropriate, please contact the 
>>>>>> owners or moderators directly rather than posting on the list itself.
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> Your Mac Visionaries list moderator is Mark Taylor.  You can reach mark 
>>>>>> at:  macvisionaries+modera...@googlegroups.com and your owner is Cara 
>>>>>> Quinn - you can reach Cara at caraqu...@caraquinn.com
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> The archives for this list can be searched at:
>>>>>> http://www.mail-archive.com/macvisionaries@googlegroups.com/
>>>>>> --- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google 
>>>>>> Groups "MacVisionaries" group.
>>>>>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send 
>>>>>> an email to macvisionaries+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
>>>>>> To post to this group, send email to macvisionaries@googlegroups.com.
>>>>>> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/macvisionaries.
>>>>>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>>>>> 
>>>>> --
>>>>> The following information is important for all members of the Mac 
>>>>> Visionaries list.
>>>>> 
>>>>> If you have any questions or concerns about the running of this list, or 
>>>>> if you feel that a member's post is inappropriate, please contact the 
>>>>> owners or moderators directly rather than posting on the list itself.
>>>>> 
>>>>> Your Mac Visionaries list moderator is Mark Taylor.  You can reach mark 
>>>>> at:  macvisionaries+modera...@googlegroups.com and your owner is Cara 
>>>>> Quinn - you can reach Cara at caraqu...@caraquinn.com
>>>>> 
>>>>> The archives for this list can be searched at:
>>>>> http://www.mail-archive.com/macvisionaries@googlegroups.com/
>>>>> ---
>>>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
>>>>> "MacVisionaries" group.
>>>>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an 
>>>>> email to macvisionaries+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
>>>>> To post to this group, send email to macvisionaries@googlegroups.com.
>>>>> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/macvisionaries.
>>>>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>>>> 
>>> 
>> 
>> -- 
>> The following information is important for all members of the Mac 
>> Visionaries list.
>> 
>> If you have any questions or concerns about the running of this list, or if 
>> you feel that a member's post is inappropriate, please contact the owners or 
>> moderators directly rather than posting on the list itself.
>> 
>> Your Mac Visionaries list moderator is Mark Taylor.  You can reach mark at:  
>> macvisionaries+modera...@googlegroups.com 
>> <mailto:macvisionaries+modera...@googlegroups.com> and your owner is Cara 
>> Quinn - you can reach Cara at caraqu...@caraquinn.com 
>> <mailto:caraqu...@caraquinn.com>
>> 
>> The archives for this list can be searched at:
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/macvisionaries@googlegroups.com/ 
>> <http://www.mail-archive.com/macvisionaries@googlegroups.com/>
>> --- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google 
>> Groups "MacVisionaries" group.
>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an 
>> email to macvisionaries+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com 
>> <mailto:macvisionaries+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>.
>> To post to this group, send email to macvisionaries@googlegroups.com 
>> <mailto:macvisionaries@googlegroups.com>.
>> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/macvisionaries 
>> <https://groups.google.com/group/macvisionaries>.
>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout 
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.
>> 
>> 
>> -- 
>> The following information is important for all members of the Mac 
>> Visionaries list.
>>  
>> If you have any questions or concerns about the running of this list, or if 
>> you feel that a member's post is inappropriate, please contact the owners or 
>> moderators directly rather than posting on the list itself.
>>  
>> Your Mac Visionaries list moderator is Mark Taylor. You can reach mark at: 
>> macvisionaries+modera...@googlegroups.com 
>> <mailto:macvisionaries+modera...@googlegroups.com> and your owner is Cara 
>> Quinn - you can reach Cara at caraqu...@caraquinn.com 
>> <mailto:caraqu...@caraquinn.com>
>>  
>> The archives for this list can be searched at:
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/macvisionaries@googlegroups.com/ 
>> <http://www.mail-archive.com/macvisionaries@googlegroups.com/>
>> --- 
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
>> "MacVisionaries" group.
>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an 
>> email to macvisionaries+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com 
>> <mailto:macvisionaries+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>.
>> To post to this group, send email to macvisionaries@googlegroups.com 
>> <mailto:macvisionaries@googlegroups.com>.
>> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/macvisionaries 
>> <https://groups.google.com/group/macvisionaries>.
>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout 
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.
> 
> 
> -- 
> The following information is important for all members of the Mac Visionaries 
> list.
>  
> If you have any questions or concerns about the running of this list, or if 
> you feel that a member's post is inappropriate, please contact the owners or 
> moderators directly rather than posting on the list itself.
>  
> Your Mac Visionaries list moderator is Mark Taylor. You can reach mark at: 
> macvisionaries+modera...@googlegroups.com 
> <mailto:macvisionaries+modera...@googlegroups.com> and your owner is Cara 
> Quinn - you can reach Cara at caraqu...@caraquinn.com 
> <mailto:caraqu...@caraquinn.com>
>  
> The archives for this list can be searched at:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/macvisionaries@googlegroups.com/ 
> <http://www.mail-archive.com/macvisionaries@googlegroups.com/>
> --- 
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
> "MacVisionaries" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an 
> email to macvisionaries+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com 
> <mailto:macvisionaries+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>.
> To post to this group, send email to macvisionaries@googlegroups.com 
> <mailto:macvisionaries@googlegroups.com>.
> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/macvisionaries 
> <https://groups.google.com/group/macvisionaries>.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout 
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.
> 
> 
> -- 
> The following information is important for all members of the Mac Visionaries 
> list.
>  
> If you have any questions or concerns about the running of this list, or if 
> you feel that a member's post is inappropriate, please contact the owners or 
> moderators directly rather than posting on the list itself.
>  
> Your Mac Visionaries list moderator is Mark Taylor. You can reach mark at: 
> macvisionaries+modera...@googlegroups.com and your owner is Cara Quinn - you 
> can reach Cara at caraqu...@caraquinn.com
>  
> The archives for this list can be searched at:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/macvisionaries@googlegroups.com/ 
> <http://www.mail-archive.com/macvisionaries@googlegroups.com/>
> --- 
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
> "MacVisionaries" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an 
> email to macvisionaries+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com 
> <mailto:macvisionaries+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>.
> To post to this group, send email to macvisionaries@googlegroups.com 
> <mailto:macvisionaries@googlegroups.com>.
> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/macvisionaries 
> <https://groups.google.com/group/macvisionaries>.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout 
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

-- 
The following information is important for all members of the Mac Visionaries 
list.

If you have any questions or concerns about the running of this list, or if you 
feel that a member's post is inappropriate, please contact the owners or 
moderators directly rather than posting on the list itself.

Your Mac Visionaries list moderator is Mark Taylor.  You can reach mark at:  
macvisionaries+modera...@googlegroups.com and your owner is Cara Quinn - you 
can reach Cara at caraqu...@caraquinn.com

The archives for this list can be searched at:
http://www.mail-archive.com/macvisionaries@googlegroups.com/
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"MacVisionaries" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to macvisionaries+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to macvisionaries@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/macvisionaries.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to