Note that using numbers for f keys doesn’t always work. For instance, you can’t
use fn-accent to escape from menus, but you can do so to close VO dialogs. I’ve
been using a Touch Bar since last winter, and I still haven’t worked out when
this does or doesn’t work.

The option I’d suggest is to use the trackpad or keyboard commander. With it,
you can assign any functions you use a lot to keystrokes or gestures, thus
negating the use of the f keys to a large degree. Remember, too, that volume
can now be controlled with vo-equals and vo-dash, so that’s two more you don’t
need to worry about.

Finally, a quick note on the Touch Bar: you can’t customize it. macOS lets you,
but VO has a hard time, and you’ll probably be unable to get anywhere with the
process. At least, I can’t. Sighted help will be required until Apple sorts
this out. You can use the Bar with no problem at all, but you can’t change
what’s on it. Most of the time you won’t want to, but if you do, you’ll need
some help for now. Congratulations on your upcoming Mac!