Hello,
Many thanks for the helpful comments on this. As my current iMac is nearly 10
years old I would prefer to migrate by re-installing still desirable Apps and
so avoid perpetuating 10 years of accumulated stuff.

A couple of questions:

1. I have a lot of mail boxes which are private to my iMac and are not help on
the mail server. I do not use iCloud.com as my mail server.I have mail set on
in my iCloud options. With is configuration will I have to migrate the mail
boxes on my old iMac to my new iMac or will iCloud somehow help with this? If
not what is the best way to migrate these mail boxes?

2. For migrating applications can I simply copy the .APP files from my old iMac
to my new iMac. I know that some applications build other files such as
preferences on first running the application if these files are not already
present. Do all applications do this? I am particularly concerned about
migrating applications not purchased from the Apple APP store. In particular I
am not using the latest level of VMWare fusion and am concerned that I may not
be able to re-download the level I am using from the VMWare web site and may
thus have to pay for a more recent version.

Many thanks for your help.

Paul Hopewell

list.