Hi Anders,

Essentially, according to your explanation, all should be one network.
Efficiency-wise, I'm not sure why the Express is the first device in the
network.  The processor in an Extreme is much more powerful than that in an
Express.  If it was my network, with those specific devices, I'd have the
Extreme wired to the cable modem and thus also have your Linux box wired to the
Extreme.  You could then still wirelessly connect the two Expresses to the
network as extenders or whatever other use you've determined for them.  This
would make it so that the Extreme, with the more powerful processor was the
head end handling the DHCP and NAT giving your network a little bit more
efficiency.

That all being said, whatever Airport device is at the head end, should
normally allow all traffic internally and only restrict traffic coming from the
outside world.  That's the normal configuration anyway.

Later...

Tim Kilburn
Fort McMurray, AB Canada