I would not expect the message network unavailable in this case, unless the
Airports that are not directly connected to the Cable are misconfigured.

If SSH Server is incorrectly configured you should get a port unreachable. If
the 10.0.1 network is properly configured in your house than I  would expect a
host unreachable if the ping command had failed.

Essentially there are four levels of unreachable messages that I remember from
the standards:
1. Port unreachable  Computer can be found but no service is available for the
specified protocol / TCP Port.
2. Administratively prohibited Generally means a firewall indicates you are
trying to get to a protected service from a unsafe source.
3. Host unreachable The network being specified is found but could not find any
computer listening to the IP address specified.
4. Network unreachable Can’t find any device in the subnet you are attempting
to communicate with.

So, after you have verified that you can ping the host try ssh short name@!$
If this is the first time connecting you should get a message like:
The authenticity of host '127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1)' can't be established.
ECDSA key fingerprint is SHA256:GM+iiwF/NURk+aPPEnA0hKIUGkbx6fBJ6Xr5dqbQNbA.
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)?
just say yes and then it will prompt for a password. If you are going to be
using ssh frequently between these machines you might want to look at putting
your ssh public key onto the Macintosh .ssh directory so you don’t get prompted
by a password each time. I haven’t configured this in too long to remember the
exact procedure.

> [...]
> System Prefs, unlock the lock, interact with the Users, Groups & Login
> Options list and VO-shift-m on your account.  Select Advanced from the
> contextual menu and the account name is available in this Advanced dialog.
> Make sure not to change anything in this dialog as you can mess up things
> royally.  I'd just hit the Cancel button after confirming the account name.
>
> So, now that you know the account name, that is the one you use before the @
> sign in the username@IP_Address syntax.  It should then ask for your
> password.  If this doesn't allow connection, you can check in System Prefs,
> in the Sharing pane under Remote Login, and make sure that your user is
> permitted to use the Remote Login service.
>
> Later...
>

> Tim Kilburn
> Fort McMurray, AB Canada
>
> On Feb 9, 2018, at 12:33, Anders Holmberg <and...@pipkrokodil.se
> <mailto:and...@pipkrokodil.se>> wrote:
>
> Hi!
> Ok, i can ping from my mac to my Linux machine and no packets get lost.
> The other way it works too.
> /A
>
>> 8 feb. 2018 kl. 20:47 skrev Tim Kilburn <kilbu...@me.com
>> <mailto:kilbu...@me.com>>:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> That shouldn't make any difference.  If they are both connected through the
>> same router, and if you haven't configured private networks within the WiFi
>> configurations, then you should be able to talk between devices.
>>
>> • determine the IP addresses of each.
>> • from the Mac, see if you can ping the Windows box.  To accomplish this in
>> Terminal, type "ping -c 5 IP_Address_of_Windows_Box".  If it answers, then
>> they're seeing each other and there's something else going on.
>>
>> Later...
>>
>> Tim Kilburn
>> Fort McMurray, AB Canada
>>
>> On Feb 8, 2018, at 12:19, Anders Holmberg <and...@pipkrokodil.se
>> <mailto:and...@pipkrokodil.se>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi!
>> Well the machines are on the same network but i have the machine i ssh from
>> connected via cable.
>> THe mac is wirelessly connected.
>> Does it matter if i have both a 2.5 gz and 5Gz network.
>> /A
>>
>>> 8 feb. 2018 kl. 16:15 skrev Jonathan Cohn <jon.c.c...@gmail.com
>>> <mailto:jon.c.c...@gmail.com>>:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> This message means that the computer you are ssh from does not know the
>>> correct path to the  10.0.0.0/24 network. So I expect your machines are on
>>> separate networks or perhaps you are not connected to a network at all for
>>> the source machine.
>>>
>>> Generally, for IPv4 what happens when they connect to a network is that the
>>> machine will do a DHCP query to the all broadcast address 255.255.255.255
>>> and the DHCP server (usually your router) will respond with a few pieces of
>>> information.
>>>
>>> 1. An IP address that your computer can use for a time.
>>> 2. How long until that IP address is available for reassignment.
>>> 3. The address of the default router.
>>> 4. The Netmask of the current network.
>>> 5. The DNS servers to use to translate from names to IP addresses.
>>>
>>> That default route listed above means that any information not on the local
>>> network will be sent to the default router to forward onto a different
>>> network. The default router can do four things with your traffic being
>>> requested to be sent:
>>> 1. It can forward it to the destination / next router in the path to the
>>> destination.
>>> 2. It can send back a network unreachable message.
>>> 3. It can send back a host unreachable message.