Sorry in advance for this answer, but you never specified a platform. For
serious coding, I honestly prefer NVDA on Windows with the Notepad Plus Plus
text editor. Here's why.

* NVDA can indicate indentation with tones, making it easy and not disruptive
or chatty to know where I am in terms of levels.
* NVDA lets me customize punctuation level, so I can hear the symbols I need
to. In the latest macOS, the "most" punctuation level is missing, which was the
only good one for dealing with code.
* Notepad Plus Plus will auto-indent, has advanced find/replace options, and
has other features I find useful. I haven't found anything comparable on the
Mac, and even if I did, my previous points would make its use less than ideal.

Sorry again for the heresy, but that's what I've come to be comfortable with
and what I find works best. For Markdown specifically, an app called Multi
Markdown Composer works well on the Mac. It's free to try, but to open multiple
documents you'll have to pay to unlock it. I like it because I can vo-j between
my text and a live updating HTML view of what my Markdown will look like as
HTML.

--
Alex Hall