Hi Andy,

Hold the keys
Shift, command and press the letter c to open computer,

Then I find it easier to tab through the list of devices connected to the
machine, one of them you will find is your thumb drive,
Stop tabbing on this and then do a Command + o to open the thumb drive,
Then you can move through the files remember that Command o opens things,

Note that there are different ways to look at the content,
Lists,
Icon
Etc,
To change these us command then 1 or 2 or 3 etc along the number rows.

Andy I can understand your fear of causing trouble on your machine but remember
that anything you do you can undo

So don’t be worried about causing trouble.
If you change something you didn’t mean to change,
Then you can always change it back.

I’ve got a pretty crazy attitude to learning things and that is
Just give it a go,
If you  get stuck then hey step back and try again,

You’ll be fine with anything you do.

And I speak as a windows user not a major mac user,

I have bootcamp set up but use the mac os as well.

Windows is my background though.

Good luck.