Andy,

cmd is simply short for "Command".  So, the key just to the left of the
spacebar is the cmd or Command key.  All you need to hold down the cmd
(Command) key, then press the comma key to open the Finder Prefs.

Later...

Tim Kilburn
Apple Teacher
Fort McMurray, AB Canada

On Apr 12, 2018, at 12:11, 'andy' via MacVisionaries