Hi Dave,

I get it now.  The problem arises from the way that Excel is laid out compared
to Numbers.  Notice that the Column headings such as A, B, C etc are handled
differently in Excel and Numbers.  In Excel, you can move one row up and read
the cell reference letters pertaining to the column headers.  In Numbers, you
need to use the VO-back slash command to access these column headers.  This is
an inherent difference in that Numbers presents the spreadsheet as. a grouping
of tables each with column and row headers.  This makes it easier to use the VO
table commands to work within the Numbers app.  Because Excel uses different
formatting of the sheet itself, the normal VO table commands do not work as
expected.  Excel is an amazing spreadsheet app, and, essentially, is more
powerful than Numbers, but from a VO prospective, is not as friendly.  to the
sighted user, these issues probably wouldn't present themselves, but to us,
they are a barrier.  I totally understand about wanting to know the title of
the headers, but I'm thinking that, as you've aptly determined, this is more
problematic in Excel than Numbers.

Sorry I didn't find a solution for you.

Best.

Tim Kilburn