Let me try to explain. The following is all my imagination for what is
happening.

Apps on Mac are complicated and designed for large screens. So, it is easier to
build some container of specified dimensions to contain other objects of
specific dimensions also. So, there are different levels of navigation.

Let’s consider Safari as an example,
The screen contains 4 main containers (toolbar, tab bar, new tab, and web page
itself) ignoring the main three buttons of close, zoom/full screen and minimize.
In each container, it contains other objects,  the toolbar contains back,
forward, refresh/stop and share  buttons. It also contains address bar.
Because programmers define their apps in this way, you find this hierarchy of
objects.

Well, how can you move across these levels of objects? The answer is
interaction.

Interacting with object, means that you want to know its content (get a level
deeper in the hierarchy).

Another way to imagine it is to think of it in the form of roads. The place
where you start is just being inside the application. Then, you start choose
which road to walk into (toolbar, webpage, tabs bar, …etc). You may find
yourself in another cross roads, then just interact.

Side Note: In order to be able to type while quick nav is on, you need to get
inside (interact) with edit field/combo box/ or whatever you hear by VoiceOver
and you can write in it.

I’m a programmer, and they are tending to make things easier for them and
general to use. This hierarchy does the job for them.
The reason for the need of this hierarchy for windows and Mac screen readers is
because of the number of buttons in each toolbar. On iOS, Facebook app, you
just need two toolbars, one at the very top and the other at the very bottom.
And navigating in them takes more than 10 swipes anyway. On the Office word app
on Mac/Windows, it contains around 2/3 toolbars, and you can view more. Each
toolbar contains at least 10 buttons. So, imagine yourself wanting to get to
the page to start typing, and the focus is at the top of the screen!!! It’s a
nightmare. You will just delete Microsoft Word to save some space on your disk
storage.

HTH,

Regards,

Mohamed E. Fayed

PS. I noticed that you’re new to Desktops, you may contact me on
Friday/Saturday on WhatsApp/Any other app you want, for faster communication
and not to type that much again 😂, on this phone number:
+201288055252.

list.

caraqu...@caraquinn.com

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/macvisionaries/586B97CE-7AF6-43C7-9F1C-F4318BD5AB4A%40gmail.com.