Hello,
I have reported this problem to Apple Accessibility with follow up details on
how to recreate the problem and then on how to fix the problem. I attach the
Email below. Note that I am in the UK where Daniel is the default system voice.
Also note that Rachael is an InfoVox iVox voice but as noted below the same
problem will probably also happen for any voice other than the default system
voice.
I hope that the below helps you fix the problem and that as a result the
problem will be fixed for all in the next Bigsur release.
Good luck fixing it in your environment … Paul Hopewell

—————
Hello,t j
Thank you for getting back to me.
As described later the problem is fixed but I can recreate it. I did the
following to recreate:
- Start with voice Rachael working correctly. I think the problem would also
happen for any correctly working voice other than Daniel.
- Open VoiceOver utility and go to Speech and then Voices. Customise language
list and edit the first entry which will be for Rachael.
- Go to Additional Voice Options. Note that Rachael is the voice for each
category and that pitch and rate and volume and intonation are also the same
for each category.
- Change the volume for the Status category. I think the problem will still
happen if you make any other change so that the entries for the categories are
not the same as each other.
- Press the OK button at the end of the categories table and close VoiceOver
utility.

I would expect Rachael to always speak but speak a bit louder in some
circumstances. Instead the VoiceOver voice will now apparently randomly switch
between Rachael and Daniel. You may have to open Safari to trigger this
behaviour. Restarting the computer does not fix the problem.

Having got into the above state I have to do the following to fix it:
- Using VoiceOver utility choose Daniel as the VoiceOver voice and then set
Daniel as the voice for each of the Additional Voice Options and also check
that the rate, pitch, volume and intonation are the same for each category.
Press the OK button at the end of the categories table and close VoiceOver
utility.

VoiceOver will now work correctly using Daniel for everything.
- Now restart the computer.
- Now use VoiceOver utility to set Rachael as the VoiceOver voice and change
the Additional Voice Options so that each category uses Rachael. Press the OK
button at the end of the Additional Voice Options table and close the VoiceOver
utility.

Rachael will now work correctly!

I hope the above works for you and that you can recreate the problem prior to
fixing it.
Best regards …. Paul Hopewell

> On 4 Dec 2020, at 16:46, Apple Accessibility <accessibil...@apple.com
> <mailto:accessibil...@apple.com>> wrote:
>
> Hello Paul,
>
> Thank you for your email. We appreciate you taking the time to provide us
> with feedback and we’d like to know more about the behavior. Does the voice
> switching behavior occur if you delete the iVox voice? We noticed on iVox’s
> website that they are discontinuing the support and development in the near
> future. We attempted to reproduce the behavior with Kate and Daniel using the
> steps provided and were unable to get the voices to switch by using the arrow
> keys to review text entered in a new message in Mail. if the behavior
> persists after removing the iVox voice and restarting your Mac, a screen
> recording of the behavior on display will help us investigate.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Apple Accessibility
>
> For more information on Accessibility at Apple, please visit:
> http://www.apple.com/accessibility <http://www.apple.com/accessibility>
> http://www.apple.com/support/accessibility
> <http://www.apple.com/support/accessibility>
>
> On November 30, 2020 at 18:28:47 PM GMT, hopew...@hopewell.org.uk
> <mailto:hopew...@hopewell.org.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>> I have recently updated my 2018 iMac from Catalina to Bigsur. I am blind and
>> so use VoiceOver for all computer access. I live in the UK and have English
>> UK set as my only language. I have set up typing to speak both characters
>> and words.
>>  I have used the VoiceOver utility to set up my Voice as InfoVox iVox
>> Racheal. I used the Additional Voice Options to set Racheal as the desired
>> Voice for all categories. I thus expect to only hear the Racheal voice in
>> all circumstances.
>> However that is not what happens. Instead VoiceOver keeps switching between
>> Racheal and Daniel (compact?)in a random way. For example if I use the left
>> and right arrows to edit this Email then some characters are spoken by
>> Racheal and some are spoken by Daniel with the majority spoken by Daniel.
>> The same problem happens if I use the VoiceOver utility to set up an Apple
>> voice such as Kate. Again VoiceOver keeps switching between Kate and Daniel.
>> I thus suspect that there is a VoiceOver bug in this area.
>> I would like to set up VoiceOver to stop switching voices, and in the short
>> term am not too concerned which Voice. What should I do?
>> Many thanks for any help.
>> Best regards … Paul Hopewell

list.

caraqu...@caraquinn.com