The trick to getting a modem on your own is to match your Internet
Service Provider's (ISP) protocols properly, eg. Xfinity/Comcast in my
area of the planet now requires Docsis 3.1.

Beyond that's there's not much to it:

1.)     Plug the BX cable from your ISP into the modem;
2.)     Plug a Cat 5/6/whatever cable into the modem and the WAN port of
your router;
3.)     Plug in electrical power;
4.)     Call/logon to your ISP and get them to recognize/allow your new
device, eg. they may be tracking mac addresses.

Best,

Janina

--

Janina Sajka