From: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com [mailto:macvisionar...@googlegroups.com]
On Behalf Of Pete Nalda
Sent: Wednesday, May 05, 2010 1:19 PM
To: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Returning my iPad

I think his review is nice enough from a VoiceOver only perspective, but there
are people out there I think that are visually impaired who want the device
because of it's larger size for Zooming.  The only fault I've found in this
area is working with the keyboard.  He also left out the option of the ipod
touch.  It was either iphone or iPad for him.

On May 5, 2010, at 1:55 AM, Ricardo Walker wrote:

> Very good review,
>
> It is nice to read some of the drawbacks of a VO user on an iPad.  It
> was well thought out and every displeasure was expanded upon.  I hope even
> the people who disagree with the review don't go postal on us.  Pleas.  lol.
> I hope someone can put together their disagreements in a logical, respectful,
> and concise manor.  I think the list would benefit greatly from such a post
> instead of a emotion filled rant.  lol On May 5, 2010, at 1:23 AM, Bryan
> Smart wrote:
>
>> OK. So, I've had my iPad Wi-Fi+3G for less than a week, and I've already
>> decided not to keep it. There is so much of a euphoric glow on some of the
>> lists about the wonderfulness of this device. I'm the type of person that is
>> always eager to investigate new technologies and ways of working, and so
>> expected that I'd agree with the generally positive reception. I don't.
>>
>> I have experience with the iPhone, and, other than the fact that it is
>> slower to operate than a device with buttons, and that the battery life is
>> terrible when compared to most mobile phones, I thought that it was an
>> impressive piece of tech with an advanced approach to user interaction.
>>
>> I was excited about the iPad, and expected it to bring everything from an
>> iPhone, only improved. First, the iPad would have a larger screen, so it
>> should be possible to more easily move my finger directly to the position of
>> known controls in order to speed up the operation. Also, the iPad would have
>> a significantly larger battery than the iPhone, so I could spend hours using
>> apps, even wireless apps, without having to worry about draining the power
>> away.
>>
>> The only universally great thing that I can say about the iPad is that the
>> battery is spectacular. With the screen brightness set to low, it runs for a
>> very long time. I've spent hours streaming movies via Netflix over 3G, and
>> the battery just keeps on going.
>>
>> Unfortunately, that's where it all ends. It isn't that I think that the tech
>> behind the iPad is necessarily bad. If you want this experience, though, as
>> a blind person, you're better off with an iPhone.
>>
>> Why? Well, let's compare the iPad to the iPhone 3GS.
>>
>> The iPad has a larger screen. If you're sighted, this is great for watching
>> video. Watching movies on a tiny phone screen has got to be an eye strain.
>> Blind people don't watch movies, and we can listen to them just fine on an
>> iPad or iPhone speaker.
>>
>> I thought that the larger screen would help with VoiceOver, but, actually,
>> it makes things worse. When you work an iPhone, placing your finger at
>> different positions on the screen only requires wrist movement. The iPad
>> screen is huge when compared to the iPhone, and you must move your entire
>> arm in order to navigate the screen. This can become tiring after hours of
>> computing, because your arm can rarely rest on anything. If you don't hold
> [...]

Egun On, Lagunak! (Basque for G'day, Mates)
Pete Nalda
http://www.myspace.com/musikonalda
http://www.facebook.com/lpnalda