You know, I was angry about this. The more I think about it, though, the more I
like it.

Recently, when I travel to any large urban center in the US, network
performance on my phone becomes degraded. Didn't used to be that way. Has
become much worse in the last year or so. I know that is because, in large
part, to all of the bazillion people on their iPhones. Previously, those people
either didn't care, or didn't know enough, to affectively do anything on a
smartphone that would consume a lot of bandwidth. Now, anyone can go get a
cheap iPhone, and start lapping up all the bandwidth for $30 per month. You
don't need many of those people in your area before most of the network
capacity is gone.

Sure, data will cost a bit more now. I'd like to pay less, but I can afford to
pay more. However, paying more has the added benefit that most people won't be
able to pay more, or at least will carefully consider what they're doing before
they leave Pandora running on their iPhone all day at their desk, sucking up
all of the capacity in the cell, etc. They'll be worried about bills now, which
means they'll stay off the network, which means more bandwidth for me.

I've noticed that just about any business that offers all you can use or all
you can eat service starts to quickly drop off in quality. Think of those web
hosting companies that promise unlimited bandwidth. Sure, the bandwidth for
your site is unlimited, just like the bandwidth for the other thousand sites
that they host are unlimited. The result is that you can download all you want,
at a snail's pace. Who goes to a buffet restaurant for fine dining? It's better
to pay a company a fee that actually manages to cover the costs for the service
that they provide. If not, well, you descend in to the wonderfully high quality
of unlimited web hosting and buffet dining. I think that I get more upset with
AT&T's network being clogged than I am about the price. If I can pay more to
have it work well, then sign me up.

Bryan