Geoff,

My understanding is that whilst you are able to code in xcode, running
the program in the iPhone simulator will not be accessible. The
suggested workaround is to sign up to the developer program, although
$100 does seem a little bit steep to here vo say hello world.

If you have jailbroken your phone however, I'm fairly sure that you
would be able to put it onto the iPhone without having to pay apple.

The ipa's (applications) that are on your phone are all signed y
apple. Once you sign up to the program, I'm assuming apple will sign
your ipa's there by allowing them onto your phone. However, if you
have jailbroken, you can install an app called AppSync which will let
your phone run unsigned ipa's.

Sorry it's not the exact answer; I just thought I'd let you know about
what you might encounter before you start.