Did you buy Snow Leopard as an upgrade, or did it come with yuour
computer?  When upgrading from Leopard to Snow Leopard, the DVD
install does not install the Developer package including XCode and App
Builder.  But if you insert the DVD in the slot after upgrading, then
you will find an installer for the developer system.  I don't recall
getting a DVD with my new MacBook, so I am not sure what the process
is in that case.

Best wishes,

Jon