Hi Marlaina. I thought of a tip for you. Not to confuse you further, but the
function keys can act in two different ways. By default, they perform system
functions, such as changing the volume or muting. Watch out for that last one.
If you hit F10 it will mute your sound. Just hit it again to unmute if that
happens. In the other way, the function keys just act like standard f1-f12
keys, as they would on a PC. This means you won't have to hold down the FN key
every time you want to perform a VoiceOver command, for example Vo-shift-f3.
You have enough to deal with without hitting FN. To do this:
1. Go to your System Preferences by hitting Vo-M, going to the Apple menu, and
selecting it from there.
2. Go to the preference panes scroll area. Interact with it, and select
Keyboard. Select the general tab.
3. Now move over to the Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys
check box and check it. Close with command-q and enjoy.

Maybe you have done this already, but it just occurred to me to tell you.