Hi Richard:
For word processing, the recommended apps are in the iWork suite, that includes
pages, numbers and keynote.  The simplest app to work with is text edit.  But,
I'm not sure how well it would handle columns or tables.

Finally, while you can't use MS Office for Mac, there is something called open
office that people are successfully using.  I don't have much info about this
program either. But, you may find more info in the archives of Macvisionaries.

HTH