Hello Chris:
Regardless of which Mac system you're working on, the trackpad anomalies can
occur.  Most of the time, I use the keyboard, and keep the track pad commander
turned off.  Then if I need it, I employ it and turn it back off before doing
any major writing again.
I've never, on the other hand done accidental mouse-clicks.
HTH
Carolyn