I don't believe you need to actually use lynx for this...

And if you don't need lynx then you don't need the developer tools and a UNIX
port program (macport and/or fink).  The Macintosh has built-in for the command
line the curl command that can take a ftp and/or an http request and download
(and possibly upload) a file or set of files.

So you should be able to replace the lynx command with a slightly different
curl command.  Also, AppleScript has had for over 10 years the ability to
directly retrieve URL's in the standard suite.

Hope this helps and best wishes,

Jonathan